Teacher - Head of ICT - Principal
This video was recorded by the Saskatchewan Teacher Federation. Speaking in front of multiple cameras and lights is not my strength. :)
- "Derwin is a positive strong leader who communicates well with all staff. He leads by a positive example for staff and students. He supports new ideas if they are good for kids and he definitely puts students needs first."
- "Derwin treats staff fairly and provides positive feedback to everyone. He walks the talk."
- "Derwin does an incredible job of building relationships with both students and staff. His commitment to helping students overcome any obstacles they may be facing in order to attend school and earn their credits is amazing. Derwin does a great job at DLC."
- "Makes the students and staff feel safe and valued."
- "Some students feel like the principal is their only hope. They trust in him and he's often the first person they contact when they need help. There is no other staff member who would come close to being equally important in the functioning of the students at this school."
Colleague References: The International School Nido de Aguilas
- "Derwin has been a wonderful teacher, colleague, and friend. I feel that my computer skills have doubled (maybe tripled) since his arrival at Nido. He has the patience of a saint when teaching and instills a "can do" spirit in his students--even in the most "computer timid." Thanks to Derwin, I now have computer skills that I never dreamed would have been possible to achieve. We will really miss him."
- "It has been my pleasure to work with Derwin Kitch at the International School NIdo de Aguilas in Santiago, Chile for the past four years. Derwin and I both started working at Nido in 2006. Collaborating with Derwin has helped my teaching, and, more importantly, my students' learning immensely during this time. The range of ways that Derwin has supported me is wide. Whether it has been collaborating to develop student-made movies that creatively demonstrated student understanding of our reading strategies,or providing much needed support with teaching our students how to save to multiple servers so they could post published work to our class wiki, Derwin has played a central role in the ways that I have been able to successfully integrate technology in my classrooms. Derwin has helped me plan, create, and implement a very effective model for my class wiki- for more info, go to: http://4anido.pbworks.com/"
- "I will definitely miss the ability to collaboratively brainstorm ideas with Derwin. I will miss the support he provides not only to me, but to the entire Nido staff related to all things technology. Derwin has been a central figure in Nido's ongoing initiatives for progress, and the void that his move will bring will be difficult to fill. If you have the opportunity to hire this teaching star, I highly recommend him for any position you have available. If you have any questions regarding Derwin, feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org."
- "As the Elementary Media Specialist, this is my fourth year working with Derwin. He is very professional and knowledgeable in all areas of school technology. He stays up-to-date with current issues in the field. Working with the staff is a high priority and he is generous with his time. When staff members have problems with any technology, even if it is not in his circle of influence, he is a great middleman between the staff and the technology department to get problems solved. As a Media Specialist, Derwin’s most important asset is the willingness to work together on projects with the students. We collaborated on many projects together. Lately he has helped me to set up a Media Center wiki. It has been a great success and made projects much more appealing to the students. I highly recommend Derwin and any school would be blessed to have him on its staff."
- "I am a Fist Grade teacher at Nido de Aguilas in Santiago, Chile. I have worked with Derwin Kitch for the last four years. Derwin is the best tech person I have ever worked with. He is knowledgeable in his field. He is always available to help teachers and students. The entire staff is sorry to see him go. I would give Derwin the highest possible recommendation. His next school will be very happy to have him."
- "Derwin Kitch has been a colleague of mine for three and a half years. In his time as the computer teacher at The International School Nido de Aguilas Derwin has had a tremendous impact on the technological literacy and skill of our students and staff. He works with homeroom teachers to integrate technology into our particular curricular needs in innovative ways that enrich our students’ achievement. Derwin is a constant professional who is extremely approachable and always willing to lend a hand to those of us who are less tech-savvy. His teacher workshops have given our staff the opportunity to improve the quantity, and more importantly, the quality of technology we use in classroom instruction. Any school will be lucky to have Derwin on their staff. It has been a true pleasure to work with Derwin, and I can say without hesitation that he will be greatly missed at Nido!"
- "Derwin Kitch is extremely knowledgeable, reliable, and always happy to help. I am a first grade teacher in the elementary school where Derwin teaches computer and is the overall technology expert. My students always look forward to computer class and return full of things to share from the great lesson. In addition, Derwin is also always looking to integrate our core subjects into his class. He constantly asks us for updates on what we are teaching so he can reinforce it through his computer class. For the two plus years I?ve worked with Derwin, he has always been eager to help solve all my (annoying!) computer problems and questions. He is very effective and amazingly efficient. He is almost always available through our ichat application and often offers to come to the room when I still don't get it. Just the other day I had an idea but didn't know exactly how to make it happen technologically. I asked Derwin for help. He immediately found a solution and helped me apply it. He makes it possible for teachers to easily integrate technology in their classrooms. Derwin does all of this daily with a smile on his face. It's not everyday that you find an expert like Derwin constantly willing to work and help others."
- "I have had the pleasure of working with Derwin for four years here at Nido. In my eight years of experience working in a school setting, I have not come across a more knowledgeable and helpful technology teacher. Anytime I had a question or needed help troubleshooting with my computer, Derwin has always been available to answer questions or take a look at whatever the problem was. When he didn’t know the answer, he took time out of his schedule to research and find out ways to solve the problem. He greeted everyone, everyday with a warm smile and a positive attitude towards the students and his co-workersIn addition to his dedication and positive energy, he has provided important feedback regarding individual students’ learning. As a learning support specialist in our elementary school, I coordinate communication with specialist teachers. Each week, we have a Student Study Team meeting to discuss students who are struggling with academics and/or social-emotional growth. When asked to give specific feedback regarding students’ progress, Derwin has been the first one to respond to emails. He has offered insight about students that has allowed us to look at the whole child and target their specific strengths and weaknesses. Derwin has also researched information about how to use technology to help those children who have difficulties with pencil and paper tasks. His input and knowledge has helped the learning support staff explore more options and provide more effective services to students with specific learning needs. He has been an invaluable addition to the elementary staff over these years and I will greatly miss him."
- "Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help me, on countless occasions, with computer questions, help, etc. I can't express enough how grateful I am to work with someone who is so generous with his time. You're always available with a smile and tons of patience."
- "Thanks for your positivity and tech help. You always seem to have time to give."
- "I really want to thank you for all the good spirit that you are always spreading out! You are always with a huge smile, and maybe without noticing it, you can cheer somebody up!"
- "I want to thank you so much for all of your help, especially this semester. You have gone out of your way to help out with things that weren't your responsibility."
- "I just wanted to thank you for all the support you have given me and the fourth grade team this year. In addition to your great tech support, I personally appreciate your positive and upbeat attitude and approach."